Mega.Foto.Blog
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7

Family. Fotos. Food. Friends. Fun.

never a dull moment. ever.

Schedule

HOLIDAY Sessions are Full. Taking appointments for February 2013.

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Jeep

I can remember being 16 years old and wanting nothing more than a totally radical awesome Jeep. Not just any Jeep - but an old jeep. I worked many hours (at my father's law firm - at Mostly Muffins - babysitting) to get that jeep - and even after working all those hours I only had enough money ($1600) to buy half of the jeep - big papa coughed up the rest.
I remember researching and researching and more researching and going around with my dad and scoping out all the various models for sale. My favorite style was the CJ7 - a little bigger than the CJ5. We settled on an old orange one and knew that soon enough with a little love from us (and a lot from across the border :) we would have the jeep looking spiffy in a jiffy.
That jeep followed me to college (I had taken the "Mean People Suck" sticker off by then - mother...how could you have let me put that on????!!!) and caught the eye of my soon to be husband - of course back then all he wanted was to kick me out of the drivers seat so he could take it for a drive - I didn't let him and he still married me. By then however, the Jeep had returned to Yuma to be thrashed and hammered by all the siblings who followed me and to be lovingly and monetarily put back together over and over by my dear ol' dad. Well fast forward about 17 years and the Jeep made its way to Prescott to be dropped in the lap of my cousin Taylor. While it was parked in front of my house (and my husband wondering how soon it could be moved) I couldn't resist the urge to throw all the rascals in and take it for a spin. We luckily made it around the block without anyone flying out and the thing breaking down (I'm curious as to what happened to the back seat?)

I never thought 17 years ago that it would EVER be filled with this...
Sometime during the siblings driving stint it was repainted - I personally prefer the cranberry color of my days...

9 comments:

Linsey F said...

I'm going to miss seeing it around town. :)

Cristin said...

What?? It's not cranberry anymore? I have such good memories of that thing. Breaking down that one time... that one time we tried to eat dairy queen while going down the freeway, ice cream flying into our faces... I remember having to parallel park it in Downtown Flagstaff... or how everyone thought they could talk to us at stoplights because it had no doors. I'm going to start crying thinking about all the memories associated with that funny jeep. Are we really that old? Has it really been that long?

It's hard being middle aged.

Chredna said...

I remember many a cold freezing morning driving from seminary to school in the back of that jeep and listening to the Beatles.......good times!!!

megan said...

Ah Edna the early morning seminary Beatles drive was one of my favorites in high school.
Cristin - I forgot about all those memories (old age) - why is there a vague memory of us driving really far listening/memorizing the words to come on eileen with each of us sharing one ear bud between us?? (we had to lean in towards each other to make it work and plus our outside ear) - where were we going??

Mollie Photo said...

ELLA!

Ashlee said...

Umm...not sure where the backseat is now, but Jace and I used it as another seat in our living room, when we lived together in Flagstaff. Love the Jeep almost as much as my own Bug!

Wade said...

Let's see . . . there were riders in the back of the jeep sitting on the bench without seat belts.

Seat disappeared.

EoS

(No, Ella and Mac will not "disappear" now.)

Sheri N. said...

Notice the rearview mirror was on at the point of the pics. I have a Jeep post Part 2 coming soon on my blog. :)

brooke said...

I seriously thought you were the COOLEST in that jeep! Its the first stick I ever tried. Does it still have the pedal shaped like a foot? And yes, I prefer it in its original cranberry.