Mega.Foto.Blog
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7

Family. Fotos. Food. Friends. Fun.

never a dull moment. ever.

Schedule

HOLIDAY Sessions are Full. Taking appointments for February 2013.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Havasupai Holdsworth (& Teuscher)

My lovely friend Lisa had us join her and her husband on a hike down Havasupai (count the h's). Havasupai?? I had never been (and had no idea what/where it was - AND why did it take me 34 years to GO???) I thought "sure...why not?". Having gone down and come out alive I think it necessary to share my thoughts on the wonderful hike.


Matt a.k.a "Havasupai Hal" had us enter the canyon at night - complete with head lamps.  We slept on the trail - and then woke around 5:30am and continued down to the village.  The entire hike down to the waterfalls is about 10 miles - you have about 1.5 miles of steep switchbacks right at the beginning and then the rest is through dry riverbed.  The boys led the way...and Lisa (with her fractured foot - injured the night before) and I followed.


When we started to hit trees like this I knew we had to be getting close to the water..and the village.
There is a perfect little LDS chapel that greets you as you enter the poverty-stricken village.













































And a LOT of horses...a LOT of horses on the brink of starvation - I wasn't quite prepared for the horses OR homes in Havasupai.




No need for pack mules...we had Bart.

We checked in and paid for our permits ($30ish per night)



We walked the 2 miles from the village and came to our first set of falls...All I could think was "WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME I HAD HAWAII IN MY BACKYARD - OK 2 1/2 HOURS AWAY FROM MY BACKYARD??!!



























Look who we ran into (Lisa's littlest sister)

Who wouldn't want to hike with a pack that cute??








The crippled's pack was too light...had to add something










Umm...next time I will focus the camera for Hayley first.





A little tired coming out of the canyon - Bart & Lisa must have caught their 4th wind?




Havasupai Hal informed us we had 1.5 miles of switchbacks to go..
Up to the top...



Lisa and I chose to laugh our heads off (we were short on oxygen) and sing show tunes the rest of the way up - glancing back every so often at how far we had come.  


I want to head back next summer with Indy & Laina...they would love it!












1 comment:

brooke said...

This made me cry a little, you know who I did this with? Grandpa (and Ross of course)! I think I was 10 or so and it was such a memorable trip. You should definitely take your kids, I can't wait until mine are old enough to do it. I forgot how beautiful it is!