Mega.Foto.Blog
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7

Family. Fotos. Food. Friends. Fun.

never a dull moment. ever.

Schedule

HOLIDAY Sessions are Full. Taking appointments for February 2013.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Jagamaga-WHAT??!@#$



Thank you Jagamaga (& Trine) AND Rudyard.

I had read last week on a friend's blog (thank you Amber) about bagging the movies on a car trip and going for audio books instead.  Then another friend told me about free/classics on audio book.  I took a stab and looked for an app for my phone and found it...and I was in heaven.  I made a quick trip down to Yuma with the kids and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try it out.  I told Indy what we were doing and he wasn't thrilled.  So I decided to let him pick the books.  His first one was a Brother's Grimm story...it was good.  His second was Edgar Allen Poe - The Black Cat.  I knew it was going to be weird/freaky, but it has been a long long time since I've had anything to do with Edgar we went for it.  I had visions of the Simpson's episode with Bart as the Raven floating around my head.  I told Indy that Edgar was a bit wacko and the story was going to be a bit crazy...ummm understatement of the century.  I kept thinking of my two brothers - with cats.  Needless to say we had to fast forward a bit.  After we finished he picked another horrible Brother's Grimm story.  Luckily we made it to Yuma and I could turn the stinkin' thing off.

I needed to rethink my strategy.

On our trip home - I PICKED THE STORIES.  And all I can say is "Thank you Rudyard.  Your collection of Just So Short Stories was wonderful!"  I actually clapped and cheered after the end of "How the Camel Got His Hump(fh)".  The stories brought us swiftly and safely home.

All the stories end with a poem.  We will be memorizing this one at the dinner table this month:
THE Camel's hump is an ugly lump
    Which well you may see at the Zoo;
But uglier yet is the hump we get
    From having too little to do.

Kiddies and grown-ups too,
If we haven't enough to do-
        We get the hump--
        Cameelious hump--
The hump that is black and blue!

We climb out of bed with a frouzly head
    And a snarly-yarly voice.
We shiver and scowl and we grunt and we growl
    At our bath and our boots and our toys;

And there ought to be a corner for me
(And I know there is one for you)
        When we get the hump--
        Cameelious hump--
The hump that is black and blue!

The cure for this ill is not to sit still,
    Or frowst with a book by the fire;
But to take a large hoe and a shovel also,
    And dig till you gently perspire;

And then you will find that the sun and the wind,
And the Djinn of the Garden too,
        Have lifted the hump--
        The horrible hump--
The hump that is black and blue!

I get it as well as you-
If I haven't enough to do-
        We all get hump--
        Cameelious hump--
Kiddies and grown-ups too!



3 comments:

Cristin said...

I am totally going to do this on our next road trip. I hate the movie thing because it seems like the batteries die or the movie isn't what they want or the headphones don't work, etc. It's such a pain. I'd rather listen to something we can enjoy together.

allison said...

we're a book on cd family.... but we usually get them from the library. j is into downloads from librivox... but those readings can be distracting cuz the voices are just regular folks. thx for the author suggestion!

trine k said...

ooo, great suggestion with the book though, love the cameelious hump poem! And I guess we'll stay clear of Edgar Allan Poe as well, ha, I can just imagine your face listening to that with your kids!