Mega.Foto.Blog
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7

Family. Fotos. Food. Friends. Fun.

never a dull moment. ever.

Schedule

HOLIDAY Sessions are Full. Taking appointments for February 2013.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pregnancy {Conversations} - Deep Thoughts

Alternate title: My "fascination" with societies boldness to remark on pregnant women's bodies...

Over the last 8 years, I have had the privilege to "listen in" on some rather choice pregnancy conversations, as well as taken part in a few of my own. Some of these conversations are with complete strangers...members of the general public who feel that any pregnant woman has a sign on her that reads, "Please...go ahead and unleash thy tongue".

A few months ago I listened to a conversation between a lady who looked to be about 7-8 months pregnant and I'm assuming an acquaintance behind the cash register at a restaurant. The employee was commenting on the size of the ladies belly (because you know that's socially acceptable to do to pregnant people ONLY) and was insisting that the doctors HAD to have her due date wrong. In other words...she was saying that she was sooo large that the baby should've come a month ago. The kind pregnant woman just "chuckled" and assured her that she still had that long to go and that her date was right.

I only tell this story (instead of one of my own) to illustrate society's approach to pregnant women. Yes, I understand it is somewhat of a "freak of nature" to see an 8 month pregnant person walking down the street. Yes, I understand that society feels "entitled" to comment at will whenever they come across a pregnant person - especially at the gym...working out. What would you have us do? Sit on the couch and eat bon bons all day? No, I assure you, pregnant women DO NOT want to receive comments from every Jane, Dick & Sally on the size of their belly, and they DO NOT want to give their due date out to ever single person that approaches them...(sometimes this is multiple times - to the same person). What does it matter? When you see the pregnant person WITH the baby in their arms...then chances are ...they HAD the baby. :) (see I can put a smiley face by this so I don't get thrown into the moody emo pregnancy category.)

I also find it strange that most of the people giving the commentary are women who have been pregnant themselves...do they not remember the last trimester...when you brace yourself every time you leave your house for the onslaught of pregnancy conversations and cheery comments like "wow! you've popped! when did THAT happen?" Umm...since I saw you 2 days ago...I'm not really sure... You reach a point where you just keep your eyes down and AVOID all eye contact so that no one feels they can approach you and go through the "random pregnant person" checklist:
-When are you due (socially disabled people will then add an exclamation like "wow...that long huh?")
-Is it a boy or a girl
-Is this your first
-Do you have a name
-You're carrying so high/low/wide
-Do you go early
-You're still here at the gym...Are you okay? Do you need help off that machine (no grandma, I've been lifting weights for quite some time...thank you.)
-How are you feeling
Feel free to add to this list...

This post has been 8 years in the making. I'm sure I'll need to revisit it to add some more. But I'll sign off with my favorite comment of all time, "Are you SURE you aren't having twins?" (Luckily I've only overheard this one...never had to receive it.)



And since we need a pictures...I'm going to add this totally random image I just received from my brother...thank you for reminding us to "embrace our differences"


8 comments:

rabidrunner said...

You forgot... "Are you going to have it natural?" I always answered with: "No, there will be an alien abduction involved."

As if there is a way to have a baby unnaturally.

In my opinion, the only proper thing to say to a woman with a bursting belly is, "You look great." I mean it sincerely - there's nothing more beautiful than a woman growing a baby.

(Unless Johnny Depp could grow a baby, then that would be down-right hot!)

megan said...

Yes...I forgot to add the only thing to say...sincerely..."you're beautiful" "you look great" "you glow"...etc. Period.

brooke said...

Oh Megan you made me laugh out loud. I don't have any better ones to add, just that I finally just started to smile and nod to anything anyone said especially when it was "WoW! Any day now, huh?" and I really had like two months left. Smile and nod. Then go eat some bon bons.

brooke said...

Oh Megan you made me laugh out loud. I don't have any better ones to add, just that I finally just started to smile and nod to anything anyone said especially when it was "WoW! Any day now, huh?" and I really had like two months left. Smile and nod. Then go eat some bon bons.

Chy said...

Tell me that you were being funny with the sixth thing on the checklist?!!? I would kill someone if they said that to me!

AudyCamp said...

oh megan...you saved me from needing serious counseling! WHY are people ridiculously annoying!!? If you only knew the story of my rude annoying neighbor man telling me he thought I should have had this baby months ago...or at least it looked like it. Cashiers comments I can handle but NOT rude neighbor mans!

Amy said...

You left out ARE YOU DONE??? (as in, done having kids)

If i had a dollar for every time I've been asked that one, I'd be rich!

Dawn said...

Classic, can't wait for the comments that will be coming. I plan on unleashing my tongue on some poor unsuspecting person who's dumb enough to ask...anything. I love the question is this your first? no. second? no. Third? no. fourth? no. By now, their eyes are bugging out and they are trying to guess my age and do the math. Ha.