Mega.Foto.Blog
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7

Family. Fotos. Food. Friends. Fun.

never a dull moment. ever.

Schedule

HOLIDAY Sessions are Full. Taking appointments for February 2013.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Washington DC

Matt had a conference in DC at the beginning of December.  Since I didn't feel like being left behind in the thick of holiday craziness...I invited myself to accompany him - and managed to find lots of wonderful things to occupy myself with while he slaved away in meetings planning our future.
First up Union Market - fun and yummy eats and other little knickknacks.  I found it to be very quiet and peaceful...this probably had to do with the fact that it is located right next to a deaf university - and as I looked around wondering at the quietness I noticed most patrons were communicating in sign language.  The korean tacos (David I took one for the team) were out of this world.  
I ran back and forth on Constitution ave and couldn't help but snap a street sign shot...as well as my yin and yang in house painting from Old Town Alexandria (we stayed in National Harbor)
Next up I ran into the National Gallery of Art (literally ran because it was closing in 20 minutes).  I made my mother proud by walking up to the man and woman at the front desk and asking for a guide and making them tell me the "hot spots" and the best things to see in 20 minutes.  To say that they were insulted would be an understatement, but to pass up a chance to educate a poor unrefined soul as myself was just to great...they pointed out the big guys and a bolted in that direction.
My favorite (to my surprise) was not the VanGogh - it was my second :) it was the random 17th century family portrait...it was utterly and completely "life in action"! Who knew there were such clever people back then...just look at the face of the father...or grandfather??  All those girls!
I also loved this painting composed of teeny tiny dots...patience and time... 
On the opposite side of the National Gallery is a wonderful quote (wonderful quotes abound in DC) and so do wonderful restaurants... be advised you need to make reservations anywhere.  We hit up Founding Fathers and it was right up my alley.  I managed to cross the Potomac and stand in both Virginia and DC. Later that evening we had a wonderful little "mixer" at the hotel.  I can not express my utter joy at watching CPAs try to have a good time - karaoke?? to "Takin' Care of Business" absolutely priceless.  Matt needed a quick photo in front of the IRS - I mean they are the ones who put food on our table....
Camera 1... Camera 2

We had one day to hit everything in DC together.  So like any smart people we decided to rent bikes...when Matt saw the tandem I knew we were in trouble.  Taking a back seat is not an easy thing for me.

The Lincoln memorial was wonderful to visit having just watched the wonderful movie portraying him.  The World War II Memorial is a new one for me and it was incredible in its homage to those who fought in the war.  

I have to say that the Korean monument was my favorite...very unique with all the men walking out across the grass.
This quote is right next to the Korean monument.  Love it.


Out of all the museums - the International Spy Museum was the favorite (I know I know - its not even a legit museum) but it was fascinating! We could have spent the whole day in there.  They take you and explore every angle of espionage all the way back to Queen Elizabeths time.  It was incredible...and the James Bond exhibit wasn't too bad either :)

We managed to walk through the sculpture garden and felt that one of the sculptures needed a little help.

We had a truly wonderful time and I can't wait to plan an EPIC family adventure back there with the kids.  I want my kids to know that I'd like a photo like this to be remembered by....


1 comment:

Rabid said...

Fun. I do declare you'd b the perfect travel companion! I'm going to plan our own epic family vacay there too...