Mega.Foto.Blog
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7

Family. Fotos. Food. Friends. Fun.

never a dull moment. ever.

Schedule

HOLIDAY Sessions are Full. Taking appointments for February 2013.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Love Language - Service

There are some books out there about the different Love Languages. I'm not able to give you an in-depth look at these books (there is one for kids and one for adults...I think) because I've never read them (what kind of person writes about books they've never read?) Anyway, my family has read them and told me about them - that counts right??

I've determined (through listening to them explain the different languages) that mine is "Acts of Service". Over the past week it has become very apparent that speaking someone's love language makes the world a better place. Seriously. The sun is brighter, there's a skip in your step, you feel like singing ever time they walk through the door. You have a huge smile that you can't wipe off your face - you say yes to every golf game that hits the calendar and then ask them to tell you IN DETAIL about every hit (what do they use to describe their plays??) that they made - once again - I'm serious. This is what happens when the stars align and you leave the land or tower of Babel and start speaking each others language.


So - what were these acts of service that made me want to start speaking in prose?? Dishes.


I'm a simple woman - really, I'm very simple, and German (not sure how that makes any difference, but Matt assures me that it is a very notable part of my character). My simplicity delights in other simple acts. Dishes.


More specific? My husband coming home during his week of personal tax extension deadline - October 15th (I hope everyone got theirs filed in time :) and doing the dishes.



Just when I thought life couldn't get ANY BETTER than that - he does the dishes with....(wait...wait...) my SON. Indy and Matt doing the dishes together. I was OVER THE MOON happy. I told Indy this was how Grandma Kathy and her father did her homework - while doing the dishes. I was so overcome with joy and gratitude that I didn't even think (until right now) to take a picture.


Now in the course of the week of doing dishes - our lovely little ol' dishwasher took a nose dive -coincidental eh? I joked that it didn't matter if it was broken 'cause I now had my own personal dishwasher. My NEW dishwasher didn't think it was very funny and after trying for 3 hours to fix it - he ended up declaring that it needed to be replaced. So in the course of a week I got 2 new dishwashers - the first one was much more charming then the second one and a lot less expensive.
**Side note - I read somewhere that if you ever want a new appliance, just have your husband use the old one and it will be replaced within the week!**Another side note - contrary to what you may be thinking - I DID NOT sabotage the old dishwasher.

6 comments:

Tia said...

does he do the dishes every night?

Just Joan said...

What are the books called?

megan said...

T-yes he's done them every night, but now its to "test" out the dishwasher ;) hilarious!
J-I think they're called The 5 Love Languages?? Tia would know :)

Lynda Holdsworth said...

You see, Megan! I never did make Matt do the dishes when he was growing up - no, not once. So now he thinks it's fun and as usual, he 'charms' people into helping him do his work. A great philosophy of child-raising, don't you think??

megan said...

Reverse psychology is the queen of all parenting techniques :)

brooke said...

This just made me appreciate what I have. I have a great dishwasher and here I am complaining that he doesn't wipe down the counter tops when he's done! I need to stop and count my blessings.
Although I am extra impressed he did it last week. We didn't see our dishwasher much last week and well, to be honest there weren't many dishes to wash as I went on a cooking strike.