Mega.Foto.Blog
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7

Family. Fotos. Food. Friends. Fun.

never a dull moment. ever.

Schedule

HOLIDAY Sessions are Full. Taking appointments for February 2013.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Incredible Edible "POWDERED" Egg

Powdered eggs.
I know what you are thinking - and before you turn your nose up and walk away - you tell me "Have you ever started OR wanted to start to bake something, only to realize that you have everything but the EGGS?!#?"
Well...look no further than your own pantry :) I've had these cans of powdered perfection sitting on the shelf for awhile (along with all my other unused food storage) and decided I'd better get to using it or at least learning how to use it.
Now I have to preface - I have only used these in baked items where it would be impossible to detect (so far cakes, rolls and bread). NO-we don't eat scrambled eggs with them. Yes...I have baked them in items and given them to unsuspecting neighbors and friends :) he he...
Don't freak...I haven't done anything wrong...just experimented a little and I haven't heard any complaints - at least none to my face-(except from my husband, but his had to do with frosting which didn't contain any eggs.)
So, without further adieu, let's have these guys stand up and introduce themselves (you'll have to excuse the poor product photography...I was in a hurry and wanted to eat the cake not take pictures of it!)

Matt thought there was too much frosting...that's the only reason I made the cake...and I don't like chocolate :)
I also think sheet cake is better the next day when it comes out of the fridge...I'm not a warm cake person..but desperate times call for desperate measures...

This was a buttermilk Texas Sheet Cake (I'm hooked on anything buttermilk ever since my mom and dad made Alton Brown's buttermilk pancakes at Christmas-pancakes, syrup, cornbread, cake, biscuits?).

Gross out all you want...but I'll be baking a chocolate cake in my solar oven with my powdered eggs when the grocery stores are cleaned out (okay...so I can't even type that last line without laughing out loud! Maybe I should add that the .22 will be sitting next to me?)

Next up on the list...powdered butter...can't wait!

(I really like Emergency Essentials for all the weird food storage items - I went to check their site and sure enough...butter is on sale - must be my lucky day.)

*I have probably just put myself in the category of the gross food storage blogs that my sister was telling me about, but I stand by my chocolate cake and homemade rolls...

8 comments:

Linsey F said...

I LOVE Texas sheet cake... a major weakness of mine! I refuse to own the recipe. Too tempting! I have a can of powdered margarine in my pantry---got it for Christmas (go figure!) Little nervous to use it...I'll let you go first!:)

Cristin said...

I'm sure I have eaten powdered eggs without knowing it, but that still grosses me out.

megan said...

cristin -
it reminded me of your brewers yeast :)

brooke said...

I am proud of you! So if there is a disaster all we really have to do is make it to AZ and you've got us covered, right? I think I could walk there. We have no food storage but for some reason I am obsessed with reading the "gross" food storage blogs! I find them inspirational. Keep it up, you may even inspire me to find a place in my 900 sq feet for food storage (who am I kidding, I can't find a place for my underwear!)

megan said...

Brooke-
Mine is housed on top of an unused bunkbed ;) (my personal favorite) behind a big chair in my room, and under beds!

Tia said...

It's true brooke, Ive seen megan's food storage she has has it in every crack and corner!
I think I want the powdered butter.

Dawn said...

You don't like chocolate?!? Wow, I dont' know quite what to think...anywho, powdered eggs aren't scary, especially if they are mixed into other things. Good for you on rotation!

A said...

So there are some crazy food storage things out there. I just learned this year that you can actually CAN butter! And you can buy cheese wax and dip fresh chese in it and then store it on the shelf for 7 years or more!